New York’s Future Is Blowing In The Wind

The current population of the state of New York is estimated to be 19.49 million people. In May 2019, state utilities used %), nuclear energy (38.8%), renewable energy (32.2%) and natural gas (29.0%) to generate electricity. Hydropower, wind, biomass and solar are the primary sources of renewable energy in New York.

New York’s reliance on nuclear energy contributes to state’s high electricity prices. In May 2019, the average cost for electricity in New York was U.S. 17.4 ¢ per kWh, which is the 10th most expensive state in the United States. The average price for electricity in the United States in May 2019 was 13.3 ¢ per kWh.

Concerns over climate change have prompted the state to enact ambitious environmental legislation. On July 18, 2019, New York Governor, Andrew Cuomo signed into law, the Climate & Communities Protection Act. The legislation mandates that the state achieves zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050. The law is designed to eliminate 85% of the state’s greenhouse gas emissions, while creating carbon-capture or sequestration systems for the remaining 15%.

New York Governor, Andrew Cuomo has also announced that New York has committed to 1,696 MW of offshore wind energy projects. Offshore wind is a critical component in New York achieving zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050. The state has a 9,000 MW offshore wind target goal by 2035 with the majority of the power going to the New York city area.

The New York Power Authority (NYPA) has begun preparation for state’s move to offshore wind energy. The NYPA has recently completed a comprehensive study of European offshore wind transmission models. Europe has been developing offshore wind projects for twenty years. The countries of the United Kingdom, Germany, Netherlands and Denmark currently have over 15,000 MW capacity in operating offshore wind projects.

Governor Cuomo’s objective is for the state to get 70% of its electricity from renewable sources by 2030. New York’s energy policy is focusing on replacing coal and natural gas power plants with renewable energy and the state’s future is set on offshore wind.

Facebook Group: “Energy, Solutions or Catastrophe?”

Share and Enjoy !

0 0 0

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *