The “Global Trends in Renewable Energy Investment Report” by the United Nations and Bloomberg New Energy Finance has recently been released. Key energy facts in the 2017 report include:
- Global greenhouse gas emissions rose to a record level in 2017. This was the first increase in greenhouse gas emission, since 2014.
- More solar capacity was added around the world in 2017 than coal, natural gas and nuclear power projects combined.
- Developing countries accounted for 63% of the renewable energy investment in the world.
- The United States invested $40.5 billion in renewable energy projects.
- Renewable energy prevented the emission of 1.8 gigatons of carbon dioxide in the world in 2017
Why have greenhouse gas emissions increased to a record level? The global economy is continuing to improve, and few countries are truly committed to reducing greenhouse gas emissions. Although the growth of renewable energy is encouraging, I believe we must all pressure our respective governments and legislators to pursue renewable energy and dramatically curtail the use of fossil fuels.